The Bastione, in grey stone, situated at the foot of Mount Rocchetta, is one Riva del Garda’s symbols, dominion of the city and the Lake Garda.
It was built in the early XVI century, when the Venetian domination over Riva ceased, to guarantee more security to the underlying village and its inhabitants. It was destroyed in 1703 by the French troops under leadership of general Vendôme undermining the main body and making it unusable.
It’s a few minutes walk from the port of Riva, along a road that winds through the black pinewood of Rocchetta.
Moreover a brand-new panoramic lift connects the historic centre of Riva del Garda with the Venetian Bastion in just two minutes (departure from Via Monte Oro).
The Bastione has recently been restored, supervised by the Architectural Heritage Office of the Autonomous Province of Trento.