2 Spiaggia degli Olivi Beach and Fraglia Vela
The old beach complex of Riva, built between 1932 and 1934, encloses wide beach inside a semicircle oriented toward the lake, where on one end the lighthouse and trampoline tower rises towards the centre of the city, and on the other end to the east the sailing club (“Fraglia Vela”) is found. The building itself has an elliptical shape and was intended to be a meeting place, dancing hall and reading spot.
In the '50s and' 60s until the '80s the Spiaggia Olivi was the main “disco” in Riva. The whole building is dominated by a series of pillars, echoing the shape of a typical lemon greenhouse of the area (“limonaia”). This was the last contribution of Maroni to the public spaces of the city.
Curiosity: the name "Fraglia” used for the sailing club was suggested by the primary sponsor of the same (and still honorary President), the poet Gabriele d'Annunzio, from a word of Venetian origin meaning "brotherhood" which was originally used in the territories of the Republic of Venice to define corporations of arts and crafts (in English you could translate it as “Guild”).